Tuesday, May 08, 2007

XP Taskbar covers popup text

For a few days now I've been noticing a problem with my WinXP taskbar. The taskbar is forcing itself to the top of the Z-order, so it is always on top. Now, this wouldn't normally be a problem. I don't use the auto-hide feature, so it's not a big deal to have the taskbar always visible. However, with the taskbar at the top most visible layer, stuff like popup text is covered up by the taskbar.

If I hover my mouse pointer over the Messenger icon, I expect it to show me a little box indicating my login status. I can kind of make out that there is a box being displayed, but since the taskbar covers the box, I can't read the text at all. All context sensitive text bubbles are unreadable.

I tried auto-minimizing the bar, but since I can only hover my mouse over the icon when the taskbar is shown, that is not a solution.

I can drag the taskbar to the sides of the screen, and that seems to fix the problem, but I don't like having the taskbar all the way over there.

Microsoft is patching a bunch of things today. I wonder if this is something they broke earlier and will fix in this update. I can only wait and see.

2 Comments:

Blogger escher said...

Hi

Right click on the toolbar:

properties

- uncheck:
'Keep the taskbar on top of other windows'

Cheers

Gary D. Freeman

10:21 AM  
Blogger Lauren Smith said...

That wasn't it. The taskbar was covering the popups that were coming from the taskbar itself. None of the taskbar settings seemed to have any effect.

The next Windows Update did seem to fix the problem, though.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home