Thursday, July 13, 2006

Prefs.ini followup

I mentioned earlier that I was having trouble opening web links from within applications. As is typical, the error code gives absolutely zero information about what is actually wrong.

After a bit of searching on the Internet, I finally found what I was looking for. Unfortunately, it was in Japanese. Luckily, it pointed to a Microsoft KB article. After poking around the Control Panel applets, as specified in "Method 1", nothing seemed to be working. So I finally bit the bullet and went into File Types as specified in Method 2.

Aha! It turns out that all my weblink actions were somehow re-mapped to use a program called Sleipnir. In Japan, Sleipnir is a semi-popular IE-based browser that provides a lot of extra features on top of the base IE browser control. However, uninstalling it leaves a lot of garbage registered which causes things like weblinks to fail to open.

It took a few minutes, but I think I cleaned up the mess it made. At least it seems like weblinks are working properly now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home